Tuesday 12 June 2012

It Begins...

I'd like to begin this blog by writing a little about its' title, and why I feel the need to write it. I used to be the person in my group of friends who knew the most about music, the one who recommended new bands to others and spent endless hours searching for them, who pored over the gig listings looking for bands we could go and see. Now, having turned 30 I began to find I had more responsibilities less time and money to spend on seeking out new music. I began to feel like my love of music, one of the things which I feel defines me, was starting to fade. Essentially I began to worry I was turning into the guy from this Onion story:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/lifelong-love-affair-with-music-ends-at-age-35,1199/

Then one day I heard an extract on the radio from William Basinski's "The Disintegration Loops". Simple, beautiful and profoundly moving, it made me realise music means as much to me now as ever, and that there is still so much new music out there for me to discover. Also, that I still want to spread the word about the music I love, and express how I feel about music in general.

I've also started a Tumblr to post music video and audio (which can be found here), but Tumblr isn't really the format for more long form musical writing, hence this blog which I'm very much looking forward to writing whether anyone reads it or not.

You can read a little more about "The Disintegration Loops" here which makes for am interesting read whether you like the music or not.




No comments:

Post a Comment